Can you help Tom Penton?

Started by OhioTed, October 16, 2008, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Thanks very much for jumping in, Jeff and Joe.  It would be so great to have Tom Penton re-involved with Penton motorcycles, and locating one of these bikes would be a great start.  Please keep us posted on anything you may find out.

OhioTed

Here's another great shot of John and his Sachs 175 hybrid.  John, do you care to make any comments on the shot, and where the bike was at in its developement at the time the picture was taken?
http://www.pentonusa.org/photos/2003/ISDT/riders/regviews/dsc04935v.jpg

ALB

Ted,
Thanks for posting the video interview of Tom Penton while he was in Amherst and attended his very first POG meeting.
For those of you who have never been to the POG's club house (KTM's meeting room), the video was taken at the entrance to the meeting room. If you pay attention during the video you will see different people coming and going in the background (Ed Youngblood, John Penton, Donna Penton, Paul Danik, etc). The POG is so blessed to have use of this excellent facility to use for our meetings. It is equipped with the latest state of the art equipment (computer, DVD, projector, etc) which enables us to show DVD's, Power Point presentations, and even access the internet. Plus what is really cool is having 4 of KTM's bikes on display in the room for us to look at before and after our meetings.

Does anyone know of any other club that gets use the facilities of their "brand" and call it "home"?  Think about it!

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

OhioTed

Great to hear from you, Al.  Nice of you to share some additional, background info in support of the video.  

For you POG'ers who may not be aware, Al Buehner one of the handful of individuals who is responsible for much of the current "Penton Structure".  

Besides investing heavily in support of Penton parts, Al is a founder of the Penton Owners Group, a past POG president, current POG treasurer, continual proponent and advocate of all things Penton, editor of the POG newsletter - Still Keeping Track, and a tireless supporter of the Penton Future Project.  

From his humble background of a Penton motorcycle owner, rider, and racer, Al has done as much as anyone in our organization to develop and maintain the tremendous support and following of Penton motorcycles.  Thanks, Al, for all that you have done and continue to do.

Jeff D

I have it on very good authority (Don Cutler) that Marcia's 175/125 will be at the Reunion Ride next week.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

john durrill

Jeff , Ted ,
 Could some one maybe take a few pictures of the bike. With some close ups of the engine and frame?
I am sorry we wont be their. The Doc says 3 to 4 more weeks before i can ride and i am the worlds worst spectator.[B)]
 John D.

brian kirby

John,

I will take a bunch of pictures. Any part of the bike in particular you want close up shots of?

Brian

'73 Berkshire Team  d-Con
//www.d-conproducts.com America's #1 Rodent Control Brand
Brian

john durrill

Brian ,
Thank you. Yes . Think of it as a one off custom. Carb mounting and clearances  , exhaust mounts and directional changes. The block where the cylinder touches (the base gasket area) . I played with a worn out cylinder once ,to see how it might fit the B cases. I bet they had to deck the cases where the base gasket fits. The rear shock setup..
You get the idea. Think ,  you are going to build one and you will know where to do a close up.
 You are a blessing!
John D.

brian kirby

John,

OK, that is what I figured, but I wanted to ask. I am still kicking the idea around of building one of these someday so I will take lots of pictures.

Brian

Brian

tmc3c

I have it from a very reliable source that the Tom Penton motorcycle of which we speak was a 1976 Penton with a 175 KTM silver motor.It was more than likley in a 1976 125 frame.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

Thomas,

I have an NOS early 76 125 frame like that.  Perhaps the beginning of a bike for Tom?

Larry P

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by tmc3c

I have it from a very reliable sorce that the Tom Penton motorcycle of which we speak was a 1976 Penton with a 175 KTM silver motor.It was more than likley in a 1976 125 frame.

In that video Tom is very clear that it is a Sachs bottom end so it would have to have been '75 right? Were there any Sachs bikes in '76?

Brian

Brian

tmc3c

My sorce says it is a KTM motor and not a Sachs motor or does it have a iron barrel cylinder.Stock 175 KTM motor in 125 frame. Marcia has never owned a sach bottom end/iron barrel bike.This bike will be in Tulsa.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

john durrill

Brian ,
 We have a friend ( Jimmy Thornton member of the old Polish Pathfinders) , an old dealer here in Lake City that knew Tom. He told me when he saw my bike that Tom had showed him one like it in the early 70's. He may have even gotten a test ride because he was cautioned about using discretion when shifting. I think there may have been more than one type of special that was tried and Tom Liked.
 John D.

brian kirby

OK, she must not have had one of those bikes then. No telling what time frame he is talking about I guess.

Brian

Brian