Can you help Tom Penton?

Started by OhioTed, October 16, 2008, 07:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Tom Penton was in Amherst for the 10/2/08 POG meeting.  While there, he described his all-time favorite Penton motorcycle.  Bet you can't guess what it is.  Hint:  They were hand assembled, and Tom says only between two and four were ever put together.  For a video, click on  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgT5qLiKfAc

Can you help Tom to locate one of these bikes?  He would like to own one.  By his recollection, one went to Jim Hollander, and one to Marcia McDonald.

john durrill

Ted,
 You made my day with this post.
We did something like this in 2002. Well we made a poor attempt at it chuckle chuckle! We had to use  slightly different parts because of pistons that were available at the time.

6 years later with 2 added engine mod's and converting the 73 frame to 75 Sachs 6-Day specs we think we are finaly finished.
I hope Tom can find one of the bikes. They are a real treat to ride in the woods.
 John D.

firstturn

Priceless Ted.  John beautiful job on the Sachs 175.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

What is it, can't get the photos!

OhioTed

Kip, be sure to log on to your internet access using Microsoft Explorer.  I was pulling my hair out, trying to figure why photos would not come up, and it turned out they were being blocked by the server.

john durrill

Ron,
You , Martjin , Doug , Larry Perkins , Leo , Speedy ,Bob W. , Phil Schloss ,Several of the POG guys that gave me parts to modify like the rear brake stay, Al B. , Jake Fisher , Barry Higgins ,Falicon , a local welder and a guy from Australia ( can't remember his name ) , All helped me do this over time. Here are 2 pictures from last years RR with the Lay down rear shocks.

The pictures are big sorry but its the only way you can get a good look at the frame and engine.
  This fall we added  the longer 35 mm forks ( 200 mm travel ) to help with the handling. Tested it at Rick G's 2 day ride ( several miles of one track with 8 to 18 inch whoops ,lined by handle bar width trees) in Sept and the bike handles great.
 I Hope someone can find one of the few that were built. It would nice to see Tom P on it at one of the RR's. I would very much like to get a close look at one. I know they did a much better job than i did.
 Thanks again to every one that helped me out with it. Guys please beat the bushes and see if one can be found.
 John D.

OhioTed

I don't know if John has mentioned it before, but he has been freaking out the Dual-Sport event riders down in Florida with the performance of his Penton.  Through a mutual friend, who lives in FLA and is big into the D-S events, I kept hearing about "this guy on an old Penton, who goes really, really well".  Apparently, they can't believe that someone can keep pace with their modern, big-bore, D-S bikes, with a 35 year-old, small displacement, 2-stroker.  Way to go, John!  Love the bike.

firstturn

John,
  You are the one to be congratulated as you have stuck with this project.  Great pictures and I love the swingarm [8D].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

It would appear that while the nature these bikes is known, their present locations are not.  For a start, does anyone know how to contact Marcia McDonald or Jim Hollander?

Larry Perkins

I think Jeff DeBell will know how to get in touch with Marcia.

Larry P

john durrill

Here is what the engine looked like. Its not a good photo but it is the only one i have of one. The engine worked well enough that Monark used it in European enduro's and ISDT/E till the early 80's?

The 7 cylinder fins and the exhaust head pipe size are the give a ways.
John D.

OhioTed

Thanks for the info, Larry and John.  Larry, do you know how to get in touch with Jeff?

Larry Perkins

Jeff posts as a member here as Jeff D.  If you can not reach him through here let me know and I can dig up my contact info.  He is a Fireman up KC MO way, a great guy, and has an eye turning spouse.  No insult only major compliment Jeff!:D

Larry P

Joe Murphy

[email protected]--where to find Jeff Debell. Ask him about Rokon riding.
Larry-someday I have to get that Petty headlight from you.
Murph

Jeff D

Marcia should be at the Reunion Ride so I'll have to try to remember to ask her about the 175/125.  Don Cutler recently rebuilt a Penton for her, so perhaps this is the bike?  I'll see what they have to say.
And I have to agree with Larry about my bride...she sure caught my eye!  I tell folks even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.  I got lucky!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell