What Did You Do To Your PENTON Today?

Started by Dennis Jones, July 15, 2011, 01:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Dale, I like your bike. A '72 'Piner is my next project.

Dale Sonnenschein

Thanks Rob. I was parked near Dale and Vance at the ISDTRR in Mass. I was riding the 73 husky and my buddy had the triumph. You rode the 400 penton right?

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Dale Sonnenschein

Over the last week or so I got the forks back together and put the front end on and put on the tail light. This bike is mostly original except for the fenders and the seat cover. I just cleaned the rest up along with some engine work.

[/URL]IMG]

73 Jackpiner
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
78 husky cr250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

KJDonovan

Started my winter project the other night, an early 72 Six Day that I had picked up a long time back.  Anyway, bike came with a 125/6A and the cases were trashed from a chain drop and there was also a hole right through the right side center case where there is a blind bearing.  I am guessing someone got a little too aggressive trying to "tap" out the blind bearing.   Initially, I was just going to replace the bottom end with a 6B I had hanging around, but decided to try and save these cases.  So the pictures below show the repair process.

This is the right inner case with a big chunk taken out from a chain drop

Notice the extra hole below the counter shaft hole.

Fixed both of those issues and did it without melting into the blind bearing race under patch.

Next issue was the magneto cover, nice big chunk missing.

So I took a piece of aluminum flat stock and with lots of tedious grinding got it to fit just right.

Welded in the cover patch

Then I decided to plug up the speedo pickup hole as I have no intention of using it.

Still has a few small porosity spots but I will just use a skim coat of Marine-Tex on those and some hand sanding before painting.  Spent most of the afternoon working on this but at least I will be able to keep the original engine with the bike.

Thanks,
Kevin  

Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner (My Ride)
72 Six Day (Wifes Ride)
71 Suzuki TS125
72 Montesa Cota 123
72 Montesa Cota 123T (Another Project)
Kevin J. Donovan
Foster, Rhode Island
72 Jack Piner
72 Six Day
73 Hare Scrambler
74 Hare Scrambler
74 Mint

Mick Milakovic

Hi All, my wonderful wife bought me a GoPro video camera for Christmas and I've been having a ton of fun playing with it shooting footage of our dogs, wrestling practice and this example of my first motorcycle riding.  It's on a 3/4 mile long track on our property. If things go well maybe we can have a spring play-day when winter breaks.  Photobucket is the host site and I'm not sure which image to use, so this might take a couple of attempts.  Hope you enjoy watching as much as I did making:

http://vid1005.photobucket.com/albums/af175/vintagecs/MX%20Lap.mp4

Mick
Mick

hankthecrank

Mick , Great job! that track looks like it has a little of everything and is a challenge. My best friend and I always go for a ride on New Years day, no matter the weather, but his work has moved him and this year I went to the beach instead. Happy New Year.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

tofriedel

Congratulations, you have some very good neighbors.  My neighbors would be calling the sheriff.

Your track looks great and a fun riding area.

Tony
Tony

tooclose racing

Nice job, Mick! What's with the heavy breathing at beginning - wasn't sure you were going to make it to the bike.  :D

My wife bought me a camera last Christmas that I haven't used yet! That's twice that Santa has put something nice under the tree for me (I also have a beautiful telescope that I begged for three years ago that is sitting in the corner of our bedroom).   As punishment, I got NO toys for Christmas this year.  [}:)]

JP Morgen

I can never figure out how to post photos on here, but I did just build up a 1256B race bike, and I went a bit nuts on the motor! Yamaha RD 400 rod, '88 Honda CR125 piston, removed liner, bored out cylinder block for aluminum liner, Nicasil plated, added four boost transfer ports and two boost exhaust ports, shortened and enlarged intake port to 32mm, mounted 32mm Mikuni, PVL digital ignition, shortened pipe by removing all of the straight belly section, cut the transmission gears for better shifting(by far!!), installed my last set of reproduction straight cut primary gears, and to top it off, made a billet cylinder head with a centered, 3/4" reach plug. Started it for the first time last week, and it shrieks!! Couldn't ride it because tank is being painted, but just by the sound and response of the engine, I know it will fly! Can't wait to ride it.

Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

Dale Fisher

This was a great thread that has been inactive for quite some time.  The weather is warming and I know there is some tinkering going on [8D]

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - President/Memberships
POG Merchandise
Mudlark Registry
Facebook - Penton Owners Group - Administrator
Facebook - Cheney Racing Group - Administrator
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

johnborn

I started mine on Monday ,has been sitting since September, turned the fuel tap on tickled the carb and started on the second kick.

rpage11

1st place at the vintage motorcycle show

[/URL]

Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
//www.robertpagearchitect.com
Skip Page
Tucson, AZ
www.robertpagearchitect.com

454MRW

Great job, & awesome looking Restoration. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R