Al Born has passed

Started by chicagojerry, May 08, 2012, 11:03:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chicagojerry

hi everyone. here is the info for Al's funeral arrangements.  it is not published in the paper yet so if you see a reference to "today" it actually means thurs  may 10th.. i spoke to his son john again. the family is shocked but hanging in there. john was also deeply moved by the comments here. thanks to all...   chi jer

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/morningjournal/obituary.aspx?n=albert-e-born&pid=157523395

454MRW

It is with great saddness that I have read this, not only once, but several times in shock. I sincerely express my condolences to his family and dear friends in this trying time. May he rest in peace in the kingdom of our lord and savior, and follow the trails of other fallen angels that passed before him. Godspeed Al. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Mike Hufnagel

Condolences to family & friends

'12 Husaberg TE300
74 Yamaha TY 250
84 Yam IT200
75 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
82 KTM 495 (2)
98 KTM 300mxc
04 KTM 125 SX
00 KTM Duke 2/rd. racer
06 KTM 950 Adv.
08 Suzuki DR70Z
\\\'12 Husaberg TE300
74 Penton Wassels
74 Yamaha TY 250
77 Yamaha TY 175
74 Jackpiner w/ 250 eng.
82 KTM GS250II (import)
77 Yamaha RD 400 Daytona Café replica
81 Ktm mx 495
12 Ktm RC8R
04 Honda xr 100
06 KTM 950 Adv.

chicagojerry

here's another picture from mike rosso that he asked me to post here, with a note that he sent me.
chi jer

I got Al to sign a friend of mine(steve)Penton gas tank at one of the pog meetings.(he got Rod Bush and Jack Penton into M.D. Anderson Cancer Research in Houston....) When I told Al he needed to sign it too he said in his normal humble "why me?" and I said you are as much responsible for this part of motorcycle history than most I've ever met, so sign it, we laughed.

firstturn

Although such a loss, Al was/is a Christian so he is in a better place.  I will miss his calls and how he always had such great stories of history on his racing, which included other brands  of bikes other than Pentons.  Always a Smile and happy to have time to visit.  In the early Penton pictures I will always remember the red coveralls (Ford) and how he told me how well they worked for racing.
My condolences to his Family.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Bob Gilman

As everyone that has written Dot and I too are in deep shock and sadness.
Al meant so much to me and my family.
Our two grandsons Bryan and Robert were very fond of Al and enjoyed being around him.  Our two sons Tony and Hawk(Robert Jr.) thought he was the kindness and most friendly man in Ohio.
I am going to miss our phone conversations and receiving emails from my pal Al.
For this we are certain God was looking out for Al even in death.He allowed Al to go peacefully in his sleep. No suffering No pain. For this we are thankful.
Our prayers and heartfelt thoughts go out to Al's wife and family.

Stay Strong - Bob Gilman & family

slvrbrdfxr

I was very saddened to see this bit of news about Al. I had a nice conversation with him at the POG meeting in Warren a few weeks ago and it's so hard to believe he's gone. Absolutly without a doubt one of the nicest people you would ever want to meet and I will miss him. My heartfelt thoughts and prayers are with the Born family during this difficult time. Godspeed my friend !!
Dave McCullough

iyaoyas

I first met Al and the POG in 2000 at the VMD when Penton was the Marque that year.  I brought my then semi-restored '72 Jackpiner with me to display alongside the many other Penton Sport Cycles at the Penton tent.  Al must have recognized that I was a newbee and came over to introduce himself.  I remember that Mr. Penton (John) was scheduled to attend the induction of his son into the AMA all of Fame and that John was running late in departing VMD for this ceremony.  Nevertheless, Al made sure that I met John and even suggested I ask him to autograph my fuel tank.  Well I'm happy to say that because of Al's persistence I did met with John (and many other POG members) and yes, John did autograph my Fuel tank.  Talk about first impressions...!  Since then I've always looked forward to meeting and chatting with Al and the POG at every VMD thereafter.  Unfortunately for me (and perhaps many others..) I only got to see Al and my POG friends once a year at the VMD event.  Thank you Al for introducing me to the Penton family and I will miss you and your great smile...  God bless you, your family and your many friends.

Stephen Markley
Charlotte, NC

kenbike

I am very sorry that we lost Al, he was a true gentleman and will be missed.

fischercycle

YOUR; FAMILY HAS OUR DEEPEST SYMPATHY, PENTON OWNERS GROUP WILL MISS YOU,THANKS FOR THE GOOD CONVERSATIONS WE HAD TOGETHER WILL MISS YOU. JAKE AND GINNY FISCHER

sixdazed

Sincere condolences to Al's family+friends in this tough time.Godspeed Al.
                 Ric
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

checkcrew

i am still trying to come to grip with myself over Al's passing, i have been in a fog since i got the sad news, he will be so dearly  missed by me and Mike Jr. :(

it was always such a treat to see him at Mid-O, first words out of his mouth, "Gallagher what are you feeding the boy, he grew another foot" we would laugh and say it was great too see each other :)

he will be smiling down on all of us this year :)

GOD Speed Al

regards,

Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]
Mike Gallagher, NJ.
[email protected]

Cliff Cook

Al Born was one of the nicest persons I ever met around motorcycles, and that is saying something.  He is also a big reason that I joined POG some 10 years ago.  What a loss.  Cliff

rob w

Sorry I did'nt jump in earlier, every time I thought of Al and tried, my emotions got the best of me. It was absolutely, and truly a pleasure to have known Al Born. From the very first POG meeting I went to, I walked away saying to myself, here are some of the most wonderful people I've ever met, due in great part from individuals like Al. Whenever I saw Al was at a POG function, I made a immediate beeline to shake his hand, and say hello. He just made me feel so welcome.
I would definitely consider Al, as a piece in the history of the Penton motorcycle. And, as for the Penton Owners Group, my gosh - he gave so much of his time as an officer, and dedicated tireless work towards the newsletter. I thank him so much for that.
Al's racing days were before my time, but I know during the onset of the Penton motorcycle, and before that on a small displacement Honda, Al Born (along with Ollie Martin) were some of the fastest 100 & 125 cc scrambles racers in the nation.
The world would be a more perfect place if it had more Al Borns'. I would like to think I'm a better person for having known him, and I will always remember Al for the good man he was.
To all of his family and friends, I'm sorry for your pain.
Bob Wardlow

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by chicagojerry

I got Al to sign a friend of mine(steve)Penton gas tank at one of the pog meetings.(he got Rod Bush and Jack Penton into M.D. Anderson Cancer Research in Houston....) When I told Al he needed to sign it too he said in his normal humble "why me?" and I said..........

That's exactly what Al said to me when I asked him to sign one of my tanks also.

A few years back at Mid-Ohio when the POG was giving away small posters of John Penton's record cross country ride - I wanted to have Mr. Penton autograph it. But I was probably gabbing to much with everyone, so when I went to find Mr. Penton, he had already left.
So I went up to Al Born and said, "since you sometimes get mistaken by people for John Penton, would you autograph Mr. Penton's name on this for me". And he did - it was another fun and memorable moment with Al.