Straight cut primary gears for a Sachs

Started by john durrill, June 02, 2003, 08:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Lambert

I would be interested in a set if the price is not too high.

Richard

Add me to the list for one set, please.

imported_n/a

John, I re-read the article I was referring to, and it's not yours (Sorry!) it's from a guy named Hahn, who converted his layshaft gear from a bushing to a needle bearing.  I downloaded it from some other site.  I left the printout at home this morning.  I'll try to remember to post the URL so it can be checked out.  If the gears are going to be remade, it might be a good idea to incorporate a needle bearing upgrade.  

Glenn

swamp fox

John,
I'll go for a set or two if it will help get it moving at a good price. Also, the URL that Glen was refering to was  http://www.mxbikes.com/tech/ I had asked Doug about this when he rebuilt my motor and he also thought it was better to stay with the bushing. Hope this helps.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Dave H.

Yes John, I would buy a set up to $100.
Dave H

john durrill

Ok Folks we have  a response from the engineer.
 Leo a Vinduro member and Sachs guy ( also a German Police Officer ) is helping with the translation.
 here is the response.
Continue with vinduro:
I just phoned with Ing. Mueller. He told me that he was the leading engineer in one of the MZ plants. He is no enduro guy, but a road racer.

He is able to make copies of the straight cut gears, but not only one and not hundreds.
Minimum is 10 and max. is 20, possible also 2 x 10. He will get the original from Martijn Stehouwer (Sachs built such gears for some factory racers of SWM, maybe Martijn has original parts, but I'm not sure), after that he will make the drawings.
The bronce bearing will be changed to needle bearings (2). It is also possible to change the ratio.

Most important is the price: It will be about 250 EUR, excl. shipping.
If he has an order for min. 10 he has to pay some money to the guys that make the gears ( I think they are in Germany or Italy, not Czechia).
Ing. Mueller has no idea how to handle the payment.
The way we did it with some spares or brochures (send the money with mail) is not the best idea, because it is more than 2.500 U.S.D. for 10 sets of gears.

If there are 10 guys who want to have the gears and pay the price, we can start thinking about the money transfer.
Leo.
 Ok guys let us know who would want a set.
 I will get one set so we need 9 more to get an order together. I do know I could not buy the steel and have it heat treated for a $100 . the setup time if I had the right cutter and an indexing rotary table would be  a lot. not even counting the # of cuts it would take to make each gear.
 The price is fair for a custom made gear with factory quality and strength.
John D.

Edited by - john durrill on 06/09/2003  4:46:13 PM

imported_n/a

John, almost $300 is probably beyond what I had in mind.  However, my first 125 Penton race since May of '73 will be the 28th at Byron.  If after that race I'm looking to find more power, I may commit to one set.  I'll let you know then.

Thanks for all of your hard work.

Glenn

tlanders

John, That's a little too salty for me also.

Teddy

Richard

John,

I've sent you an e-mail on the subject. Let me know if you don't recieve it.

Richard

john durrill

We have 2 that have committed to a set. We need 8 more. I will ask that my set not have the needle bearings. I have a new bushing that I can use. Will check and make sure that the gear has the same size hole for the needle bearing as the bushing.
 We can do a money transfer from one bank to another. I have done that in the past. It's a safe way but takes some time to do.
 We just need 8 more guys to place an order.
 Let me know, those of you that expressed a desire, if you dont want them at this price.
 We should at least reply to the information.
 Dont believe its good manners to ask some one for something like this and not give a reply.
 John & Peter

Edited by - john durrill on 06/11/2003  02:33:14 AM

Paul Danik

John,
   I will have to beg off at this time, the price is a bit higher than I expected.  Thanks for your leg work on this project.
Paul

john durrill

Thanks,
 Paul, Teddy, Glenn
It dosent look like we can get enough together to make the min order. I sent an e-mail to an outfit here in the states to see if they would , 1 make the gears and 2 get a price from them and 3 how many would be needed for a min. order. should hear back in a day or so on that option.

imported_n/a

Thanks for being on top of things, John.

Trying to have items remade (and the gasps we all make when we see the cost) is a reminder that we are not living in the past when it comes to paying for new stuff.  As has been said before, look at the price of the new bikes and parts and accessories.  Add to it limited demand, and this is the result.  Whether it's pipes or gears or seats or gas tanks, if we really want them, we need to mortgage the house.  I'm going to sell my modern bike so I can pay for racing and rebuilding my next project.  One's own labor is free, and used parts are around.  But these new items are hard to swallow.

Glenn

swamp fox

John,
I was going to let all the senior men who ride their bikes at the AHRMA & vintage races who keep the Penton flag flying take first bid on the ten sets of gears. I know I probably wouldn't put them in until I got my bike all back together and see how it rides after 30 years in the garage. But I will still commit to help all the others who want to add a little zip to their mounts. I agree that $250-$300 would be about max that I could go also.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

rob w

Hi John, I'm stay'n in, and I'm going to hold at $250. I'd also like to see the product first and know that it's been tested before I pay in full. Thank you for working on this so diligently.
Bob