Rarest KTM

Started by ktmlifer, October 07, 2004, 12:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktmlifer

Hi All,
I'd like to know what is the MUST have rare KTM/Penton that is still possible to acquire. I have a contact who's a huge rare dirtbike collector/restorer, so $$$ is no object.

Simply put, what important bike would you want in your collection?

Thanks, EJ
OLD S'CooL Restorations:)

Rain Man

Hi EJ, welcome to the Penton Owners Group.  
I'd like one of each model:)

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

tmc3c

Money is no object !!! Well lets see....Ron ,I bet you can see this one coming a mile away!! A Kenny Robetrs/ Penton original Flat Tracker!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

It is actually about a toss up for first in this catagory if you go by production numbers.  These are off the top of my head but fairly accurate.

Both the Kenny Roberts designed Flat Track KTM/Penton and the later model Anniversary 125 KTM with green plastic that celibrated the old Six Days bike were I think in the less than 75 produced catagory.(Don't have either but have seen both)

Next would be the 76-77 KTM/Penton MC5 125 with less than 200 in the states.(Got one)

Next would be the later model Anniversary 200 KTM with blue plastic that celibrated the old Jackpiner with less than 400 produced.(Don't have one but have seen several)

I think these are the top runners but would be curious to hear others thoughts and Rob probably has info that will give more exact numbers.

Larry P

farmer58za

Hi EJ
The local KTM dealer has, in his board room, a BRAND NEW 1976 250 GS6.
Never run, superb.
He wants silly money for it
David

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

Paul Danik

In my eyes, one of the first 10 production steeltankers would be the most desirable, of course the original protomodel would be my 1st. choice, but totally unobtainable. Thoses first 10 were airshipped in and had some items on them that no others had. Who knows, if thoses bikes had been a total flop maybe there would have been no others and no KTM today!  Just my 2 cents!
Paul

Larry Perkins

Good call, Paul.  I agree and those should go to top of the list of rare.  What were some of the goodies?  I know they had chrome exhaust and alloy rims but what else?

Larry P

Larry Perkins

David

There are not a lot of NOS Penton or KTM bikes around so that would be very rare in a different way.  Rare and silly money seem to go together but when something is very rare what is it worth?  Probably as much as you ask because someone will buy it.  Out of curiosity how much is silly money in the case you mention?

Larry P

tomale

Larry, I had no idea that there were only 75? MC5 125's I knew that they were abit rare but not that rare. In 82' there was one sitting in a carport around the corner from me. I was in college and had at the time was only flirting with the idea of riding again, No money and other things were more important to me... like a new baby in the house and having to work full time while I went to school full time. I had thought to go up and introduce myself but I never did and I never found out what happened to the bike. It looked to me that it was just collecting dust and the owner had given up riding as I had. Talk about the one that got away. but then how could I have known.
Did the 125's that year share the same frame as the 250's? I know that some of the other European 125's did but was unsure of the 125 MC5's The early Husky's and Maico's did but I think by 76 they had come out with their own frames for the little bikes. Maico I think never did make a tidler that was competitive. There are a couple of guys that have husky 125's that race them but not too many mostly I see Elsinore's. Lots of them but they had transmission troubles. This summer I saw a very trick Wombat with a 38 mm carb and a pipe that looked like it went to a 400 very fast too. I had trouble passing him on a up hill straight. Mixed class ya know.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Paul Danik

Larry,

Besides the chrome pipe, they had a longer version of the old style airbox.  It has been said that those airboxes came from the "Hansa" which was a KTM produced street bike. On the cover of the very first "Still Keeping Track" the bike pictured has that longer airbox, it is actually contoured around the swingarm mount, the later ones were cut off several inches shorter. Those first 10 bikes did not have fork stops and I am sure that later they had matching dented gas tanks.:D  They also had steering dampeners, like the old Triumphs and BSA's.

I am sure that others will chime in with more differences.  Great topic.  I gotta get moving to make the POG meeting tonight.
Paul

Larry Perkins

Thom

On the MC5 it was less than 200 and I think it was around 150.  Thanks for the cool info Paul.  Have fun away from Mars.

Larry P

farmer58za

$15000, Larry

Regards

David
'75 KTM GS175
'75 KTM GS250
'75 KTM GS400
Regards

David

Larry Perkins

YOWIE KAZOWIE!  My Grandpa would have said 'he's saying it's not quite for sale yet'.

Larry P

TGTech

I thought that I remembered when the "LE's" were first made, that there were 10 125's and 200 200's, so I decided to ask Rod Buch, KTM's head dog, to see what he knew. According to Rod, he thought that there were only 5 of the 125's made, but he did confirm the 200 number of 200's. Only 178 of the 200's made it to the US, the rest were sold, mostly, within KTM's walls. Rod has said, that he has never seen a 125 LE in Europe, so I might tend to believe that there were only 5. One of the five (ten?) is now located in KTM's facility here on Ohio, and it has never been started.

Dane

generalbay

Paul, The subject at hand here is rare and to me that means few and far between. I own a Anniversary LE 1997 Jackpiner 200 with a certificate of authenticity that states mine is "model production number 5 of 133" that is signed by Rodney D. Bush and John Penton. If we are to go by the information you just submitted with regards to Rod Bush then my bike isn't as rare as I thought it was and my certificate is no good. The figures that are being qouted here need to be accurate because a lot of people come here to get the most accurate information possible. When information is inaccurate the people giving it lose their creditibility. Those of us who do own these bikes don't want people thinking that there are 400(Larry) or 200(Paul) or worst case "nobody knows for sure" when they see one of these beautiful bikes I would rather they knew that they are looking at 1 of 133 produced. I'm not out to upset anyone, I'm just trying to help further the POG goals one of which is "If the Penton motorcycle is to achieve true classic status among the other great legendary brands, enthusiasm for ownership and understanding of the Penton legacy must continue beyond the lives of the founders and current members of the Penton Owners Group". This qoute can be found under Penton future projects. Hope this information helps anyone or everyone. Dave Duval