Prayers for Thomas Carmichael

Started by firstturn, February 15, 2010, 11:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Here is the Good News from the Hospital....thanks everyone for your continued thoughts and Prayers.

Thomas is out of surgery.  The surgeon came by a little while ago to tell us that the surgery went well.  He feels that he got most of the tumor but since the tumor was resting against the brain, he didn't want to risk doing anything that could cause physical problems by cutting near the brain.  He will have an MRI tomorrow which will show if there is any tumor left in his head.  He said that that was very common and that it's very difficult to remove the part of the tumor adjacent to the brain.  They did the freezer biopsy test and it is confirmed that the tumor is primary and strictly a brain tumor only.  He said the tumor was approximately the size of a golf ball.  Unfortunately, we won't have any news on whether it's benign or malignant for a couple of weeks.  I will talk with the surgeon again about that.  Thomas is being moved to ICU where he will stay tonight.  If all goes well, and I'm confident that it will, he will be moved to a regular room tomorrow.  I asked the surgeon when he could go home and he said once he's up and about, he's free to go home so I don't know the timetable on that yet.  Thank you to everyone for your continued prayers.  I was able to be with Michael Weisner, Ken and Anne Norton while waiting for the doctor so it was nice to have conversation with someone to help pass the time.  Please pray for Thomas's recovery and benign report and thank you again for your friendship and support.    

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

I just checked the site, and Big Brother Ron is first to the turn again..

Great news so far. He'll be back on two wheels before we know it.
More prayers. God speed TC.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

sixdazed

Great news so far!-:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

swamp fox

A new update from Clinta:

From Clinta - We visited with Thomas for a few minutes in ICU and he was coherent, making jokes and probably harassing the nurses if I had to guess!  They had just given him some loritab before we came in so he was fighting falling asleep.  I told him to sleep and we would be back in a couple of hours.  Amazingly enough, the area on his head where the surgery was done is not disturbing.  I had warned my daughter on the way into the room to be prepared for the worse, (she passes out at the sight of hydrogen peroxide!) and it was nothing.  His head's not even wrapped.  They didn't shave him, so all the staples and super glue are camouflaged.  I was worried about having to change bandages over the surgical area because I, too have a weak stomach. I figured I would just close my eyes when I wrapped his head and hope he wouldn't look like a wizard!

So, bottom line, everything at this point is great!  The surgery went extremely well, we have eliminated any fear of there being cancer in other parts of his body and now we just have to get clearance that the tumor is benign.  They sent the tumor to Duke to get all kinds of reports back but again, we may have to wait 2 weeks to get the results.

We will stay with him until they kick us out tonight by 9.  I am so relieved at how my Thomas is fine and happy and upbeat!  Thank you everyone for all the prayers.  Continue to pray for a benign report and a speedy recovery.  He will be moved to a regular room together if all goes well tonight and I'm hopeful that he will be able to go home on Friday if he's medically able.

It keeps getting better.
Now if he'll leave the nurses alone.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

pakala

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Thomas keep up the good work,you are going to be just fine!
           Paul(socal)

firstturn

Thanks Bobby and Paul and everyone else that has been there for Thomas and his Family.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

Clinta,

That is absolutely wonderful news.

Tell Thomas to pinch a nurse for me :D
Just kidding of course[:I]

Please tell your daughter that her Dad is not only a great guy but a tough one also.

Paul

tomale

That is wonderful news. I can't wait to hear more good news..

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

swamp fox

Thurs morn update:

Thursday, February 25, 2010 9:50 AM, EST

From Clinta - Hannah, a friend of hers, Kelsey, Trey and I visited with Thomas until 7pm last night, then they ran us out of the room.  Thomas said that his head started hurting last night so they gave him 2 loritabs which put him out and he slept well last night, thankfully!  He did manage to watch American Idol so he's kept up to date with the contenders!  When I got here this morning, he was finishing up breakfast and was in good spirits generally.  He is very concerned that he may have to stay in the hospital a little longer than originally planned due to the numbness issue.  His numbness since surgery has actually gotten worse.  He's unable to move his left hand, arm or leg at all.  The surgeon said that was to be expected due to all the activity inside his head during the surgery and he still has a great deal of swelling.  But, the nurse feels that they will most likely want him to go through some physical therapy before leaving.  If he had his way, we'd be in the car driving home right now!  He's still in ICU looking forward to getting a private room where it should be a little quieter.  The surgeon has not come in today so I don't have any updates from him yet.  The posts from his friends mean so much to him and have kept his spirits high, thank you all so much for your time and commitment to stay in touch!  I will update once we talk with the surgeon.  

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

Mick Milakovic

Thank God, all the prayers, positive attitudes, and friends at your bedside.  Speedy recovery, my friend!

Mick
Mick

Doug Wilford

Clinta,
Thomas must be doing really well, keeping that golf ball hidden so
long,   Of course if it is not a Prov-1 then some one else can have it.  I know Thomas prefers the best.  God bless to all of you.
Doug

slvrbrdfxr

Thomas,
It was wonderful to read the positive reports. My prayers and best wishes for a rapid recovery !!
Dave McCullough

swamp fox

Got to head off to work again, but here's an update:

From Clinta - We have had a good day today.  Thomas had some wonderful visits from Thomas Riddle, Robert Cross, Ken Norton, Linda Page and Ken Strickland.  Each of these visitors were  wonderfully genuine and so uplifting to Thomas.  Linda, he thoroughly enjoyed the card that you left with more signatures then I've ever seen on a card!  He misses all his friends at Cryovac and is looking to get back there as soon as he can!  The gift was lovely also!  Thomas and Ken, we are thankful for your prayers and appreciate your continued requests for Thomas's recovery and a clear report on the tumor!  Ken Norton, Thomas believes you are his angel and that you have wings of gold!  He considers you one of his brothers and values your friendship more than he can say.  Robert, it was so engaging to hear your wonderful stories of travel and adventure.  In olden days, I'm sure you would have been a pirate!  Since so many people have asked, I wanted to share that Thomas is at Greenville Memorial Hospital and he's in Room 2301.  He was moved this afternoon and it's so nice to have a lot more privacy.  The surgeon is setting Thomas up to work with a physical therapist starting tomorrow so that hopefully he will be able to walk soon and get usage of his left hand again.  It appears that Thomas won't be able to go home tomorrow as we hoped, but we are hoping for Saturday if all goes well tomorrow with the Physical Therapist.  I will post a new update in the morning.   Thanks friends for the wonderful posts and all the support that we have received.  You are precious to us and we love you all!

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S

tomale

that is good news, it looks like everything is on track, It is never as fast as we want it but He is in good hands Thomas, I mean it I want to go riding with you one day..tall order I know since I am on the PNW but one day that would be great... We continue to pray for complete healing... Nothing is to Hard for the Lord...

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

Please Keep Your Prayers coming for Thomas....

We got some news today about Thomas that has knocked the wind out of all of us.  As a disclaimer, this report is from the pathology department from Greenville Hospital and not from the biopsy that was sent to Duke.  There is always a possibility that there will be some differences in the report from Duke but this gives us at least a peek at what to expect.

Thomas's tumor was a high grade glioma or astrocytoma which means that he has fast-growing malignant brain cancer.  There are 4 stages and this report shows that he is in Stage 4.  We are praying that the report from Duke comes back as something more positive or not so stark.  Due to his paralysis, Thomas will be moved to Roger C Peace Rehabilitation Center next week which is a great facility and the only one of it's kind in South Carolina.  They work exclusively with brain trauma, spinal injury and stroke patients and have been able to do miracles.  The expectation is that Thomas will start some type of radiation next week but to say that I'm writing this in complete shock would be an understatement.  

I can't write anymore for now.  I'm meeting with the admissions team for Roger C Peace to get Thomas set up to be moved there next Monday or Tuesday.  Please continue to pray for healing for Thomas.  The surgeon told us that there is no "cure" for this type cancer.  He will always have it, the fight is to keep the cancer from growing so that's why he will have radiation and most likely chemo also.  

Thank you for your prayers!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh