Prayers for Thomas Carmichael

Started by firstturn, February 15, 2010, 11:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixdazed

Thomas,If you see this i hope you have the best Birthday possible considering your circumstances.We met at the ISDTRR in Missouri a few years back and you struck me as being a great guy and a fellow Penton Nut!Hang in there and know that you have a great bunch of people praying and pulling for your recovery.Take Care,
                                                                Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Thomas had a great birthday.  Bobby rode over on one of his bikes from Charleston and it was cold last evening.  I arrived too late for the Party, but I will be at the hospital today.  Thanks for all your continued Prayers.

From Clinta - Well, I'm thinking that we may have set the bar pretty high on how to throw a birthday party at the Roger C Peace center yesterday!  What a marvelous celebration that we had and most especially for the gift of life that God has given each of us!  When Thomas got back to his room from PT, he found all kinds of colorful, helium-filled balloons and streamers.  We had a spread on his desk that may have caused a shortage of sugar in America!  The hospital gave Thomas 2 cakes, a cream cake and a carrot cake.  I had brought a yellow sheet cake with party supplies.  The most popular items though were gifts from very special friends.  Barbara and Dwayne sent a beautiful cookie bouquet filled with iced and regular cookies.   An old, (again not age) friend of Thomas's and now mine, Cindy Yarborough from Florida sent a yummy fruit bouquet with chocolate-dipped strawberries, pineapple and gourmet delectable fruits.  When staff would come in the room, I was trying to get them to take a piece of cake, (remember 3 cakes!!) and everybody wanted the cookies or the fruit, although I will have to confess that Hannah and Thomas ate most of the fruit.  I'm thinking the word got out in the hospital and strangely, staff from other floors started "checking" on us, I think they were coming for the cookies!!

We had 2 wonderful visitors from Cryovac yesterday, very dear friends of Thomas's, Todd Patterson and Dale Allison.  These guys are so precious and helped to make Thomas's birthday special.  Todd, thank you for your God-felt prayer, Thomas commented later, that your prayer gave him a sense of peace!

Some birthday parties have clowns or magicians, our party had Q, James Bond's associate!  He arrived by night, driving through the cold on his big, sleek motorcycle.  He was garbed with the most advanced technological equipment, heater hooked up in his jacket, special made earplugs so that he can communicate with command central and all the gadgets that any traveler would want to have with them for a road-trip!  I joke because I can't possibly convey the magnitude of the visit from Bobby Manuncy from Charleston, a man that Thomas calls brother!  Bobby had to be at work last night at midnight, left Charleston at 3pm just so that he could spend time with Thomas on his birthday.  He called me and said that he had not gotten Thomas's card in the mail to him so he was coming in person to deliver it and to be with him.  I tried to talk him out of it for the very obvious reasons but he wouldn't hear of it!  How do you thank someone for a gesture so incredible?  His friendship with Thomas is a blessing and he has always been there for him through the good, the bad and the ugly!  

You may notice that I use some words over and over, like wonderful, dear, special and a few others.  It's because, well I have a limited word vocabulary but more specifically because we are surrounded by people that have shown us an unlimited amount of compassion, love and friendship beyond mere mortal words.  How will we ever be able to let you know how much we appreciate the support and prayers that we feel daily?  In a very small measure that doesn't represent the emotion, thank you for all that you do for us, with the greatest gift being prayer!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

I visited with Thomas at his Noon Break from therapy and he looking good.  Thomas told me to thank everyone for the cards and flowers and that most of all he appreciates the Prayer.  I will visit him later today.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

What a wonderful report, I have always said, Poggers are the cream of the crop,

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

swamp fox

Ron,
I should have checked the board before my run up to Greenville, I would liked to have seen you also. My visit was a spur of the moment choice, as I had procrastinated in sending the card. I had gotten off work at 0600 Wed morning, and was scheduled to go back in at 1830. At 1415 my pager went off and I was rescheduled for 0030. So is the life of a container crane operator, I have to maximize my time whenever it happens. So I told the wife I would make the trip to Greenville and be back in time for work.

I called Clinta to see if Thomas would be up to visitors, but had to leave a message. I was already 30-40 miles out when she returned my call, so I told her I had already committed and would see them in a couple of hours.(The Autocom lets me hook up to ipod, gps, phone, and radar. ;)) Little did I realize there was a detour on part of the trip, adding about 45 min and putting me in Greenville's 5 o'clock traffic. [B)]
When I did arrive, I met Clinta and Trey in the hall going up, and then found his buddies Todd and Dale from work in the room. We had some cake, told some stories about Thomas getting them hooked on the game of golf. He's also trying to get Dale, who mountain bikes, to get a dirt bike and join him in the woods. Thomas was calling me James Bond, with all the gadgets on the bike, but we settled on "Q, the gadget man". I'm the gadget man to my wife, so it fit. His daughter Hannah came in with her dog and was setting up the ipod for her Dad, so he'd have some motivational music. I just hope he doesn't start break dancing.

Being that I had to get back to the coast for work, and Todd and Dale had left, I bode them farewell, plugged in the heated jacket liner and gloves, and headed home. 450 miles roundtrip in 34-42 degree weather for a friend didn't bother me at all. But I do get to take a nap at work after my 2.5hr shift on the crane.:)

All in all, Thomas looks no worse for wear, and has the spirit to return to normal. One of the last times in the woods, he was quite impressive, even though he says he's an "optically and weight challenged rider." I'm sure he'll be right back in front of me.[B)] (It was his home turf of course.)

So Godspeed my Brother, do your p/t, and listen to Clinta. I'll keep in touch, and make another trip up there soon. But I'll map out another route since the I385 work looks to last a while.

Take care,
Bobby

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

firstturn

Another update and this is long, but remember that we are helping a Friend and I especially want to thank Bobby Manucy and Greg Holder for bring such joy to Thomas.  Nothing like talking to old Racers to bring the best out in Thomas.  Thomas was into Flat Tracking last night and for those of you new to POG Thomas raced a lot of Flat Track and won on a Penton.  Well here is the latest from his Wonderful Wife Clinta.

From Clinta - I apologize for not doing a post when I got home last night, late, but I was just too tired!  I could have written something, but I'm afraid that it would have been incoherent.  Lots to catch you up on, but I left 2 elements out of yesterday's posting that I would like to share with you.  

First, RCP will on occasion, have Pet, (as in animal) therapy.  With all the kindness that they've shown us, I thought it only appropriate that I contribute to the pet therapy, so I offered to run home and bring back one of my 4 cats or 3 dogs.  Otis, our 125 pound Cujo-looking dog might have been a bit much for the staff but if he doesn't eat you, then he will probably be your friend!  Strange, but they said no, that wasn't necessary.  Hannah, natuarally took this as an opportunity to bring in our grand-puppy Tucker, (who is an adorable debonair pound puppy, predominantly terrier), and so Tucker was also there for the birthday party.  I think there's a possibility that he might have had one or two pieces of cake more than a puppy should because later, Hannah had to deal with the repercussions of sugar and icing overload.  

Secondly, my request for people to remember Thomas's birthday through cards was met and more!  You've heard the phrase, raining cats and dogs, Thomas was raining cards, all kinds of cards!  Birthday cards, Get Well cards, Thinking of you cards, and get your oil changed cards!  (We didn't hang the oil change cards!)  So, he is facing a wall of cards and how awesome it is for him to wake each day and see the well-wishes right in front of him!  So thank you everyone for your thoughtfulness, it was wonderful!  We saved them up and Hannah opened them one by one to read them to him, Trey and I were the hangers.  I was a little OCD about making sure that they were level and in a particular order, but my children drew the line with getting me a ruler!  

Yesterday was another great therapy day!  Thomas has been progressing with his left leg and with the help of his physical therapist was able to walk with a cane.  At this point, his ankle is very weak so they don't let him walk unassisted, but will lift the ankle for him and place it back down because they are worried that he will twist or break it if he does it himself.  They asked me to purchase a pair of cheap, no-name tennis shoes, (around our house we call them bobos!) so I went to Kmart and got him a pair.  They wanted them to have velcro strips to make it easier for him to put on and today, hopefully they are building a leg brace for him to give the ankle more support.  We haven't seen yet any improvement in the left arm but the doctors have told us that the arm would come back last because it's closest to his brain.  

He had another CAT scan which we've not gotten the results for yet but will on Monday morning unless I'm able to corral a doctor today.  After the visit from the cancer doctor, I'm not so worried about getting the results now because we are supposed to be presented with a plan on Monday morning.  Let me tell you about that visit!  Separate from the local doctors, I have been working behind the scenes, not telling Thomas, that I've been lobbying to get Duke Hospital to see Thomas.  For those of you that don't know, Duke Hospital is world-renowned for their brain tumor treatments.  People from all over come to Duke and they are literally the authority on brain tumor treatments.  It was important to me to at least try to see if it would be possible to get an audience there.  When Mary Patskoski came to visit earlier this week and talked about all the miracles and wonderful things that Duke has done, it reinforced to me, that I needed to start that campaign.  Imagine my surprise, when answering the phone arbitrarily because I normally don't answer if I don't recognize the number, and it was the doctor who treated Ted Kennedy for his brain tumor.  Obviously, Ted Kennedy passed away but this doctor I'm sure was checked out from top to bottom and must be a very good doctor.  We had a brief conversation and he directed me to what we need to do prior to coming to see him and he gave me his beeper number to contact him when we had finished the protocol that he suggested.  OK, so about an hour later, the local cancer doctor from Cancer Centers of America stops by to meet Thomas and me and to talk with us about Thomas's situation.  He's not aware that I've already contacted Duke which isn't a conflict because the Duke doctor had said for Thomas to move forward with the radiation treatments, etc, get another scan and then we will meet.  

The local cancer doctor, Dr. Mark O'Rourke explained what the tumor is, what it means, what it does, etc.  He was using the pathology report from GHS because we still don't have the pathology report back from Duke.  He said that the plan will be to use a 3 prong approach for Thomas's treatment.  All of these simultaneously so that's going to be a challenge for Thomas but the doctor is thinking that with Thomas's age and superior health prior to this, he can do it.  They will be doing radiation, chemo, (by pill) and a third pill which helps with starving the cancer cells and keep them from growing.  He went on to say, that often they will send patients up to Duke after treatment but with Thomas, he is considering sending Thomas first and letting Duke decide the best treatment, send him back home to Greenville and let the cancer center here provide the treatment plan.  Dr. O'Rourke did his residencency at Duke so he's very familiar and supportive of their brain tumor program.  So, I had to confess at that point that I'd already been in touch with Duke and it was fine, no problem.  I discussed with both the doctor from Duke and the doctor locally options for clinical trials, (thanks Skauska) and there's a real possibility that we can get him in some type of trial.  I will discuss that more if we are able to go in that direction.  I am meeting Dr. O'Rourke at 6:30am Monday morning to discuss next steps.  He needed some time to gather all the info to finalize the plans.  

Thomas will have another big day of therapy today and he has therapy on Saturday's too until 1:30 and then's he free to enjoy his weekend.  Thomas was so blessed with wonderful visitors yesterday, it helps to make the days not so therapy intensive and gives Thomas an opportunity to laugh and visit with the outside world.   Roger Kirk, a friend from work stopped by and shared a prayer with Thomas, Mike Gasgue brought by the BEST lemon pound cake, (I told Thomas that it was coming home with me and realized that you don't take a cake from a patient in the hospital, that's just not right!), Michael Weisner, Dale Holcombe and Greg Holder.  Dale had called me on the way to the hospital to ask what he could bring to us for dinner.  I was actually sitting with my daughter in the hospital cafeteria while she was eating at the time, I wasn't hungry so I told him to just bring something for Thomas.  He gave me several suggestions and we went with barb-b-q sandwiches.  All I can say is, thankfully my hand wasn't anywhere near Thomas's mouth as he ate them, because he eats like a starving dog.  The food at the hospital has been good, but the quantity is small, particularly for someone on heavy doses of steroids.  Dale, thanks for the sandwiches, as I said, it's the best food he's had in over 2 weeks.   (I cooked for part of that 2 weeks so I'm admitting that I'm no great shakes in the kitchen!)  Greg Holder is another dirt bike enthuasist and Thomas enjoyed getting seeing and getting caught up with him.  And finally, I have a mystery guest to share with you, but I will just say for now, that he has traveled over 1300 miles to see Thomas and is visiting for 2 days.  Today is his 2nd day in town and I have much to say about him, so I'm saving him for my next post!

Thank you everyone for your love and friendship!  Have a wonderful day!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Thanks Clinta for the update, I read the Letter to my wife and we laughed and thourghly enjoyed every bit of it... I normally do not read that much of the posts but she really wanted to hear and she is rejoicing too, at the progress that Thomas is making, As always we continue to pray.. We are believing for the best. If we could, We would give all of you a big hug... thanks for being so open and allowing us to share in your journey of faith. I wish I could have gone to your birthday party... Maybe some day I can....

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

firstturn

I have left South Carolina and on my way back to Texas.  Thomas is Blessed to have a Great Family and Thomas is giving rehab all he has and a little more.  It is sometimes hard to describe to people that haven't been through a difficult medical situation how hard rehab is...but it is hard and it takes a tough person to give it a 100%.  Here is the latest from Thomas' Wife and as far as me making the trip...it was the right thing to do for a Friend and Brother.

From Clinta - I know that many of you are thinking or worrying about the delay in getting an updated post.  I was up until 4AM this morning and around 3AM I considered doing it but decided that I should try to get some sleep instead.  I know that it can be concerning when you are used to getting new information twice a day and to not hear anything for 30 hours could raise questions so I apologize if I have alarmed anyone.  Several people have mentioned that they worried because they've gotten used to reading the daily events and to not hear anything made them wonder if something was wrong.   I will be more diligent in posting something, even if it's short!

Another note I wanted to mention before catching you up....Apparently there have been visitors that have come to see Thomas that I never knew had been in.  I try to mention all of his visitors as a way of thanking them for making the time and effort to come to the hospital.  In casual conversation, something will be said by another visitor or even Thomas about so and so coming to visit and I feel bad that I did not acknowledge them in the post.  So, if this references you, please know that we are so appreciative of your visit and if I don't mention you by name, please know that it is not intentional.  

As far as updates or changes with Thomas's cancer, the radiation doctor came in on Friday and said that they are trying to get Thomas set up to participate in a clinical trial at Duke.  If they are able to work that out, then he will be making a road trip to Raleigh, probably one day next week and we will put a hold on physical therapy for now.  I'm supposed to meet with the cancer doctor on Monday to hear more about the plans going forward and as soon as I do, I will post an update.  We are supposed to meet at 6:30 AM so I will downing liquid caffeine at the crack of dawn!  

Both yesterday and today we have had some wonderful guests.  Some were new faces and some were regulars.  Thanks for Howard & Betty for stopping by.  I'm not sure I've met anyone that laughs as much as Howard, what a joyous soul he is and so uplifting to be around.  We enjoyed visiting with Randy Strickland and Thomas Riddle, thanks for the continued prayers!  Last evening, our former Sunday School teacher, Buddy Waters stopped by and I hate to even label him because he's truly so much more than that to us.  He's an inspiration and someone who constantly gives of himself to others.  He has had some big medical challenges in the last few years also and yet no matter how dire his situation has been, he has always been faithful to lead by example.  Tonight, I met Clayton Jones and his girlfriend Michelle.  Thanks Clayton for always straightening out Thomas's paperwork, I'm sure that wasn't an easy job.  I have been looking forward to meeting someone who has been incredibly faithful in writing Thomas and that is Carolyn Cross who came with her hubby Robert tonight.  Carolyn made Thomas the most awesome Get Well card, (I gave it high prominence on our card wall!) and she's just as spectacular as the words that she writes to Thomas to comfort him!  

Thomas's Mom & Dad came today to visit with him while I ran some errands and handled some personal business.  (They were on the road today over 6 hours!)  They have been very supportive and are always quick to offer to help in anyway that they can!  I could not be closer to them even if they were my own flesh & blood parents!  

In my post yesterday, I teased a "mystery guest" that I was going to tell you about in my next post.  The mystery guest was Ron Carbaugh from Kerrville, Texas.  Ron is very well known in many different circles.  He was an executive with Honda motorcycles and has been instrumental in motorcycle racing for years.  Ron has survived 2 life-threatening situations himself, one from 7 years ago when he was given one week to live and then a year ago when they found a brain tumor the size of a tennis ball. Ron has been a mentor and a shining light for Thomas.  He has been the voice of reason, the voice of optimism and a brother in every sense of the word.  To say that we were touched by his making this trip to visit with Thomas for 2 days, just to check on his welfare and to ensure that Thomas is in a good place mentally, says so much about the kind of man that he is, and we are lucky to have him in our life!  

No matter what your contribution is for Thomas, with prayer being the most important, we continue to be so thankful.  It is a wonderful feeling to know that we are surrounded by such love and we are so appreciative!  

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rfpotter

Since it has been said that Thomas likes to hear from the posts, let me say again that we are thinking of you from this side of the mountains, and include you in our prayers. Stay the course.

And for Mr. Carbaugh, well done sir, well done.

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

tomale

Ron has been a blessing to many of us... The last couple years have been really rough for us as well. and my brother Ron has been there every step of the way..
Thanks Ron, for keeping us updated. and for just being who you are... We are all blessed to call you friend and brother..

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Dwight Rudder

I don't care what they say. Ron is OK in my book.
LOL,
Dwight

VICTOR MONZ

Thomas.

Ron sure is great to have around.  Hope the best for you and keep fighting.  I hope to post some Penton stories from Glen Helen this weekend....keep reading the posts.

Ron has always been there somehow for me, he's an inspiriration and helps me to help others, too.

Victor Monz

firstturn

Dwight,
  Funny thing is I told your Brother Greg Holder the same thing about you last week?;)  Thanks Dwight for all you have done in the ISDT/E over the years.  It is people like you who are the backbone of the Sport.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

As those that have followed this thread know that Thomas is really giving it all he has and more in therapy and below is the latest from his Wife and what the doctors think.  I cannot stress how Great of Attitude Thomas has, but it is hard to keep hitting it hard everyday a 100% so thank for everyones thoughts and Prayers.

From Clinta - Good morning everyone!  I just spoke with the cancer doctor, Dr. O'Rourke and he has implemented the process to get Thomas up to Duke.  He said that I should receive a call from them before Friday letting me know when he is expected up there.  He has very briefly reviewed the pathology report from Duke and they have also confirmed that the tumor is in Stage 4.  I asked him what type of progress he believes we can expect for Thomas and he said that he has seen wondrous things happen with the trials at Duke.  He is extremely optimistic that with Thomas's age and health, that he will respond positively and get great results.  I feel such a sense of relief and know that Thomas will work very hard to do whatever needs to be done to have quality and quantity of life with his family!  

Prayers are being answered and we are all witnesses to it!  Continue to pray for his health and that we will be able to go to Duke very soon!  Thank you!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

You went above and beyond with your visit Ron. I'm sure Thomas was having a fit when you walked into his room. You truly are TC's big Brother.

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S