What Did You Do To Your PENTON Today?

Started by Dennis Jones, July 15, 2011, 01:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Meatyard

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mick Milakovic

Found a tank on eBay to put on my brother's original Jackpiner he bought in September 1973.  Tested for leaks, now need to strip and paint and get it running.  Has spark and compression, but hasn't run in 33 years!

Mick
Mick, is that the original motor?  I noticed it is painted silver, and I have been looking into engine colors vs engine numbers and year models. Most 73's had black motors, and supposedly 74's changed to silver, yet your pic is a 73 with silver motor.  Just curious.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Mick Milakovic

Keith, I'm pretty sure it was a black motor originally.  My brother was notorious about taking his bikes in the basement during the winter and "updating" them to look more like the newer models.  I haven't tried scratching paint to investigate, but one thing I noticed is the vibration dampeners between the cylinder fins are also silver, a pretty sure tip that the cylinder was painted.

Mick
Mick

hankthecrank

I went for a short ride today after church. Probably 30 -35 miles. Sun's shining and temp around 38.  Lots of frozen spots and ice. Sun had made the top 1/4 inch greasy in the sunny spots.  Fun!!!

Hank Rinehart
Correction---- Temp gauge in the sun.  Actual temp- 28F.
Hank Rinehart

Dennis Jones

WOW over 10,000 hits! I think we have a record thread.

I rode the first Penton I ever owned today,a trials model. It still gave me a big ole smile :D

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

rob w

Yes, great thread Dennis.
But no record yet - "Prayers for Thomas Carmichael". 251 replies, and 28,332 reads.

Paul Danik

Dennis,

Congratulations on the 10,000 hits, you had a great idea :) I've enjoyed seeing all of the interesting projects.

Paul

Dennis Jones

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

Yes, great thread Dennis.
But no record yet - "Prayers for Thomas Carmichael". 251 replies, and 28,332 reads.

Not a record we want to beat :( I have some great memories of Thomas from the ISDT qualifier at Combs and how impressed he was with all the rocks.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

tofriedel

If I am not mistaken, a Sept. 1973 dated bike (frame serial number) would have been a 74 model, however if the purchase date was Sept. 73, it may well have been a 73 model.

Tony
Tony

Mick Milakovic

Tony, the bike was bought and titled in September, I'm sure it was produced much earlier in the year.  I'll check tonight to see what the engine case build clock says.

Mick
Mick

Dale Sonnenschein

I made a rear bracket for an aircone pipe, mounted my new mikuni carb and got the airboot fitted.Just threw on a tank to get some color on it.

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
75 Penton 250
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

rob w

Kip Kern

Very pretty bike Rob!  I just bought another project from Mike Winters (1973 Piner) and it is torn down, plating done, engine and carb finished.  Just waiting for warm weather to paint and polish. I am doing a 73 Tyran and 74 YZ 125 at the same time. Getting ready for Mid Ohio delivery!

Mick Milakovic

Checked the build clock on the engine cases of my brother's Jackpiner, 11/72, and scratched a few places on the center cases and cylinder, definitely black underneath.  Most likely a '73 model.

Mick
Mick

DougDyar

Rob W
Beautiful bike. Where did you get the wire bracket for the brake cable on the front number plate?
Doug

72 Penton 175 Jackpiner
92 Suzuki DR350
72 Honda CT70
71 Honda CT70H
70 Honda CT70H
73 Penton 175 Jackpiner
74 Honda CT70

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by DougDyar

Rob W
Beautiful bike. Where did you get the wire bracket for the brake cable on the front number plate?
Doug

Thanks Doug,
I made the cable guide myself.
1/8" dia. wire.
If you're not up to it, I'd be happy to give/send you one.
Bob